Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Journalism and Business

I'll be the first person to admit it that I have absolutely no business skills. So after reading Jeff Jarvis's Entrepreneurial lessons, I started to wish I took a class in business. And not just in business but how to deal with the business side of journalism.

Throughout my education at Ithaca College, I have been told that journalism is changing and that to stay in the journalism world, I must learn different trades. This has consisted of me trying to hold a video camera and trying to learn the different shots that I hear all those film majors talking about. At heart, I am a writer but I feel OK trying to produce multimedia.

What I need, however, is knowledge of the business side of journalism. I highly believe that the journalism department at the college needs to be analyzed once again. And I do think that a business class teaching journalism students how to pitch ideas and how to keep a float in the careers they choose, needs to be a part of that curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment